This delicious & easy to make Carrot & Coriander (Cilantro) soup works out at under 100 calories per generous serving.
Warming and filling with sweet carrot and the delicate citrusy flavour of coriander, this soup recipe is one that you will make over and over again.
If you are looking for a new low calorie soup recipe to help you on your eating plan, read on!
This British favourite is one of my go to soups - I love it.
It's both filling and tasty and when swirled with a spoonful of yogurt it is creamy too.
I'll often double up the quantities that I make and freeze individual portions in freezable soup bags, that way I have easy lunches whenever I want.
I just grab a bag from the freezer and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
You'll see that I make the soup the old fashioned way, on a stove top but this soup can also be made in a soup maker if you prefer.
I use dried coriander seeds in this recipe. Crushed they have a mild citrus flavour which pairs perfectly with the carrots.
I roast the seeds in a frying pan and then grind them in a pestle and mortar. This really brings out the flavour.
If you don't have a pestle and mortar, just place the seeds in sealable bag and give them a good bashing with a rolling pin.
Each one cup serving of this tasty soup works out at 97 calories so it's perfect if you are following a lower calorie eating plan.
More Low Calorie Soup Recipes
If you are looking for more low calorie soup ideas, why not take a look at these
Carrot & Coriander Soup
- 4 ¾ cups carrots (600g) peeled & chopped
- ¾ tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 5 sprays calorie controlled spray oil Pam / Frylight
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube / stock cube
- 3 cups boiled water (1 ⅓ pints)
- 2 tablespoon coriander / cilantro chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
- 2 - 4 tablespoon fat free natural yogurt optional
- Place the coriander seeds into a frying pan with no oil and warm over a medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir to make sure that they don not burn.
- When the seeds have toasted take them off the heat and tip them into a pestle and mortar. Grind coarsely and set aside.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add 5 sprays of a low calorie spray oil of your choice. Add the crushed garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add the chopped carrot, most of the crushed coriander seeds and a couple of tablespoons of water. Turn the heat right down, place the lid on the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock (made up of 1 bouillon / stock cube, turn up the heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a bit.
- Use a hand immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Before serving, garnish with a spoonful of fat free natural yogurt, the remaining crushed coriander seeds and some freshly chopped cilantro / coriander leaves.