If you are looking for a creamy lower calorie dressing then you can't go wrong with this recipe.
It is packed full of flavour and each serving works out at just 20 calories!
A serving is two tablespoons, so even if you love your salad dripping in dressing this recipe will still be perfect for you!
The dressing is creamy, with a yogurt base that is flavoured with garlic, mustard and a little red chili.
I also add a few sprigs of cilantro, but this can be left out if you prefer.
Anyone following a lower calorie eating plan will know that bottled, store brought salad dressings can be high in calories!
My favourite bottled dressing works out at 130 calories for 2 tablespoons .... and I would never stop at just 2 tablespoons of dressing.
So I started making my own dressings from ingredients that I knew would be lower in calories and that I usually would have in my fridge.
I love this recipe - it's creamy but it packs flavour as well.
I add just enough red chili pepper to add a bit of a kick but you can reduce the amount if you prefer a milder dressing.
Although I add a couple of sprigs of cilantro to my recipe, it's kind of optional as the dressing is still lovely without it. So if you're not a cilantro lover, just leave it out!
Tips for making this dressing
This recipe is so simple to make. Just chuck all of the ingredients in a processor / blender and process until smooth.
- Remember to remove the seeds from the red chili pepper before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- If you don't have English mustard powder you can use standard yellow mustard instead. Add one teaspoon to begin with, blitz then taste and if you want more you can add some.
Lower Calorie Dressing
- 1 cup fat free plain yogurt (280g)
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon English mustard powder or 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs cilantro / coriander
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- ¼ small red chili pepper de-seeded
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar less if you like your dressing less acidic!
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice optional
- Prepare the red chili pepper by slicing it down its length and removing the seeds.
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until fully combined.
- Place in the fridge to chill before serving.